Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Vincent Van Gogh Spring flower vases

Middle school artists that used markers and paint to make this Van Gogh inspired work
It's officially Spring! In celebration of this joyous moment I had my Middle school students Draw and create some Vincent Van Gogh inspired vases! Van Gogh created an array of work involving sunflowers in vases, although he used vibrant tints and shades of yellows and oranges we decided to hit the contemporary palette and add some funky colors in the mix.


To get started I presented my students with a simple presentation of Van Gogh and some of his most celebrated works. I then proceeded to play one of those Roll the dice games similar to the ones that we used last month with our Picasso lesson. If you are interested in this artwork making process you can get the template here
Middle school artists that used markers and color pencils to make this Van Gogh inspired work

After printing out the Roll-a-Van-Gogh Template for all the students I then had a wall projection of a digital dice which you can find here  Once that's set I have the students take their papers and fold it in in half . We then did two sessions of the Roll-a-Van-Gogh game. Afterwards I have the students customize the Van Gogh inspired portraits. This all takes about a whole class period (1hr 30 min). We then take 2 more class periods to paint and color them up and create completed artworks like the ones shown above.

No comments:

Post a Comment